The GUTP Primary general course aims to:
- train reflective teachers who ensure the learning progress and outcomes for pupils is the main focus of their teaching
- develop Associate Teacher's subject knowledge for teaching enabling them to plan and deliver creative, effective teaching, engaging learners and using appropriate assessment strategies to demonstrate pupils' progress
- consider the role and relationship of teachers and learners in the classroom with particular reference to individual differences, teaching and learning styles, differentiation and the management of pupil behaviours
- ensure Associate Teachers meet the Standards for Teaching at the highest levels of professional attributes, knowledge, understanding and skills
Our partnership of primary training providers are carefully selected on the basis of their experience and expertise; staff from within the schools will deliver the majority of the practically focused training including:
- statutory requirements
- teaching and learning
- child development
- behaviour for learning
- subject knowledge
- Assessment for Learning
- creativity and innovation.
As a school based training provider, we have a strong team of mentors who will work one to one with Associate Teachers supporting, guiding and advising throughout the training programme.
To compliment the practical and core training our Associate Teachers enjoy, the GUTP works closely with the University of Leicester to provide an academic programme which enhances reflective skills.
In conjunction with our partnership schools, we are able to ensure our Associate Teachers experience teaching in all primary key stages (which may necessitate three practical placements).